Friday, September 18, 2015

What Does the Pirate Say

Ahoy Mateys! Tomorrow is International Talk Like A Pirate Day! 
Image provided by blog.jibjab.com
International Talk Like a Pirate Day was founded by John Baur and Mark Summers (aka Ol’ Chumbucket and Cap’n Slappy) in 1995. And it gives everyone around the world the excuse to talk like a pirate the all day long. So, go ahead and join in on the fun…inject your speech with grunts and growls and slur your words. Call your friends “matey” and intentionally use bad grammar. Who’s going to judge you? You’re just celebrating the best holiday ever! 

Now…if you think you can just go around all day saying “Arrr” every once and awhile, you are sorely mistaken. Let’s take this day seriously people. Tomorrow isn’t just some boring ol’ national holiday like 4th of July or Labor Day...Talk Like a Pirate Day is an international holiday and should be treated as such.

Pirate lingo is rich and complicated, but if you can master a few key phrases, you’ll be able to convince anyone you are a true pirate in the making.

The Basics
  • Ahoy – Hello or Hi…but can sometimes be used for Goodbye. 
  • Ahoy, matey or Ahoy, me hearties - Hello, my friend. 
  • Are we thar yet? – Are we there yet?   
  • Arrr! -I'm happy.  Arrr should not be confused with Arrgh, which is the sound you would make to expresses displeasure.
  • Avast ye - Stop and check this out or pay attention. 
  • Aye – Yes. 
  • Aye aye! - I'll get right on that. 
  • Blow me down – Used as an expression of shock or disbelief. 
  • Do ye 'ave any plans fer tonight? – Do you have any plans for tonight? 
  • How 'ave ye been? – How have you been? 
  • I be late fer me orthodontic appointment! – I’m late for my orthodontic appointment! 
  • I be starvin' – I’m hungry. 
  • I can nah, I be busy. – I can’t, I’m busy. 
  • I can nah wait t' get me braces off! – I can’t wait to get my braces off! 
  • I needs t' go brush me teeth. – I need to go brush my teeth. 
  • See ye later – See you later. 
  • Shiver me timbers - Comparable to the expression “Holy cow!” 
  • Tis talk like a pirate day! – It’s talk like a pirate day! 
  • Wha' time be it? – What time is it? 
  • Where be th' head? – Where is the bathroom?
Image provided by heidischulzbooks.com



So get out there and celebrate International Talk like a Pirate Day…cause if you don’t…
 
We'll rip an' burn yer Jolly Roger, ye salty kraken. We’ll make ye walk the gangplank, ye sorry, black-spotted, parrot-loving swab. Blimy! Yo ho ho an' a bottle o' rum!”

No comments:

Post a Comment